Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jenifer Breman's Roast Chicken with Vegetables

I figured out that one of the reasons my food pictures turn out so lackluster is because I rush to take the pictures. We get super hungry. So when the food is finally finished, it's a mad dash to sit down and eat. Yesterday I prepared a roast chicken and vegetable dish, recipe courtesy of my friend Jenifer Breman. Jen is an excellent cook, and she made this traditional meal for the ladies in our group one evening. It was simple, comforting, and perfect.

Fill the bottom of a casserole dish with brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, and potatoes. Rub a whole chicken with olive oil, then fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon zest. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with quartered lemons, halved garlic bulbs, and a handful of rosemary and thyme sprigs. Place the chicken directly on top of the vegetables. Pour chicken broth over the vegetables to keep from drying. Do not cover. Bake at 425 degress for approximately 90 minutes. Below is a picture of the chicken before it goes into the oven.


Ismael made gravy with the drippings. Below is the finished chicken. The skin is crispy, and the meat is succulent. And as my other friend Jennifer Jacobs said when I prepared this dish for her during her visit from Michigan, "This is so good! The vegetables are just as good, if not better than, the chicken!"




After dinner, I saved the remaining pieces of chicken to use in other dishes later in the week--wraps, pasta, sandwiches... Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment