Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fashion Picks


They say that fashion follows the times. Case in point: Michelle Obama wearing J. Crew dresses during her husband's bid for presidency--a far cry from the Givenchy, Chanel, and Cassini dresses of Jacqueline Kennedy. So during these lean days of recession, it's out with the bling, and in with the industrial.



The shoe du saison remains to be the stilettoed bootie. The heel allows the bootie to retain its feminine and sensual allure, while the bootie's powerful infrastructure--be it leather, suede, or vinyl-- alludes to steely masculinity. The bootie's use of substantially less material than its ankle, mid-calf, or thigh high counterparts, lends itself to being the shoe for our contemporary fiscal quandary. (Christmas present from my sister Crystal)




Perhaps it's the simplicity of parallel lines, or the illusion of needing to hold one's pants up. My most recent obsession is men's suspenders. Worn with a basic tank and dark wash denim, the addition of suspenders will always elicit a fashion moment. It's supposed to be androgynous, however it's anything but. My suspenders were made right in the heart of downtown Los Angeles. (American Apparel, $17)



Although the intelligentsia has been preaching for quite some time that we dispel the importance of labels, I want to bring it back--namely, the label of having been "Made in the USA." Now I, myself, am an implanted American. I came to Americ
a by way of Vietnam, then France. I love imports and exports from Europe, Asia, and everywhere else. But if I can choose to buy an American made product during these roughest of times, then it doesn't get any more stylish than that (short of wearing red, white, and blue). My chosen New Year's getup, a sparkly party dress made of elastic and machine sewn costume sequins. I got it brand new at a novelty shop in the arts district of North Hollywood. (Shasa Collection, $30, Made in USA)







No comments:

Post a Comment