Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pesto Pasta with Vegetables al Dente

I totally need a food stylist or food photographer or something because this picture simply does not do the dish justice. Last night, Ismael made the best pesto sauce ever! With fresh basil, toasted pinenuts, about four garlic cloves (they were small), half a lime, salt, freshly ground black pepper, and a generous amount of olive oil. We omit the parmesan because I don't like it. He grates fresh parmesan over his pasta directly. It works. Anyway, everything goes into a food processor, and within seconds you have the most flavorful homemade pesto sauce. We tossed it with garlic basil linguini, sauteed asparagus, red bell peppers, crimini mushrooms, chopped onions, and minced garlic. The key is to saute the asparagus, bell peppers, and mushrooms separately, one at a time, in order to keep their crunch. I also made a green salad that I topped with lime, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Simple and perfect. (I always miss my mom when I make a dish like this because she loves it when I make pasta for her.)

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I suppose those vegetables are still in season around you. Is your farmer's market still open in January?

    I'm finding the two keys to better pics would be good lighting and a camera that's way out of my price range...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, our farmer's markets are always open because the weather pretty much remains sunny and cool, or sunny and hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pine nuts are a little pricey for us, so I've subbed with almonds and instead of lime, I just added a tomato. The boys love the "green pasta" as they've called it and Tre isn't allergic to almonds. Also good with penne if you're out of linguine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If they like green food, you can use pesto to make green eggs and ham. I bet they'd get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete