Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Fish Sauce, Baby!

You're not really Vietnamese unless you like fish sauce. And you're not really a Vietnamese cook unless you can make it. For years, I made batches of fish sauce that were merely edible, at best. One winter my parents came to visit, and my dad taught me how to make his fabulous fish sauce--the best I've ever had! So today, I rolled up my sleeves, and painstakingly mashed the green chilis and garlic. To that paste, I squeezed about six limes. Then I spooned granulated sugar into the bowl until the sugar mound met the height of the lime juice. Next I poured raw fish sauce into the bowl until the mixture reached a dark caramel color. I carefully stirred, feeling the sugar slowly dissolve into the liquids. I added a little bit of boiling water, just to cut the acidity of the fish sauce and lime juice (a trick my mom taught me). Lastly, I added red chili garlic sauce to give it beautiful color.




Immediately following my bravissimo creation, I made salmon spring rolls to dip in my sensational fish sauce. Feast your eyes on my most exotic lunch. So good...

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Kath! That is a huge accomplishment! Looks SOOOO yummy!

    Your advice has helped me too! I've been so diligent with my sunscreen ever since you suggested it! I've also been using using Vanicream at night (and haven't been breaking out), but am also using Burt's Bees products which I'll post on my blog. So far I like them a lot! Check out my blog....

    ReplyDelete